This really is an opportunity to start a new career that could change your life. Here at Aggregate Industries, we are at the frontline of the construction and infrastructure industries, producing and supplying an array of construction materials. With over 200 sites and around 3,700 employees we’re home to everything from aggregates, asphalt, ready-mixed concrete, and precast concrete products.
As a Materials Technician Apprentice, you’ll be working in a site laboratory but not as you know it! Be prepared to get mucky as you get to know your materials. This won’t be a sterile environment and requires someone who’s not afraid to get stuck in.
Working as part of a team, you won’t be alone. You’ll be supported and guided, learning on the job as you go, by a team of experienced materials technicians. Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
No two days are ever the same with Aggregate Industries. You’ll not only spend time testing in the lab, but as you develop your knowledge and skills you will also get the chance to visit our customers on live construction sites.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
• Completing and passing each module linked to NVQ Qualification in line with NVQ course requirements
• Supplementing NVQ learning with developing skills to become competent Laboratory Apprentice
• Building Health & Safety (H&S) knowledge to ensure all processes undertaken adhere to H&S regulations whilst working in the Laboratory
• Support the Laboratory technicians in completing test sheets and ensure all data is captured accurately.
• Utilise the training feedback procedures to record any ideas you may have to improve the training methods and the management system
• Strong knowledge of soil sample booking in and storing processes
• Building skills to support with core Laboratory tests under the direction of a Senior Technician or Laboratory Technician
• Ensure any testing equipment or tools are cleaned after each test
• Responsible for ensuring your workstation is kept clean and tidy
• Performing other duties and responsibilities as required from time to time by your line manager.
Skills and characteristics
• Strong attention to detail
• Enthusiastic, reliable, hardworking individual able to work on their own initiative
• Flexibility to work out of hours including weekend and some night working as required
• Committed to self-development
• Accurate and meticulous person
• Comfortable working on your feet with occasional heavy lifting
• Creative and innovative
• A strong team player
So how does the apprenticeship work?
Not ready to apply yet?