BAM Group was founded over 150 years ago and delivers exceptional engineering and construction experiences. We collaborate with clients across private and public sector partnerships in the UK and internationally.
Our purpose is to create sustainable environments that enhance peoples’ lives.
“We’re driven by a desire to deliver outcomes for clients and their customers, in a way that modernises the industry. We use digital engineering, a net zero carbon approach, placing sustainability and great people, at the heart of our organisation. We strive to enhance the lives of people and in the communities where we work.” Ian Parish, Managing Director, BAM Nuttall
Working with the BAM Ritchies Laboratory Team you will test the behaviour of construction constituents including all Earthworks materials, concrete, and aggregates.
The results of these tests will be used to improve the performance of existing products, to eliminate faults with materials already in use, and to help with the development of new technologies.
This is a unique opportunity to develop a career within the construction sector, offering you the chance to develop skills and specialisations that are highly sought.
Within this role you will develop an understanding and knowledge of the implementation of various methods to examine construction materials. Through training and development provided you will work towards excellence in the following areas:
- Carry out testing on site to assess material strength and flexibility under stress against specification requirements
- Maintain equipment calibrations and notify the lab manager of any defects requiring attention
- To comply with laboratory and site safety procedures
- Responsible for maintaining training records
- Comply with the site quality system for materials testing laboratory, developing an understanding of materials reporting
- Analyse test results and produce reports that inform project engineers and managers against agreed deadlines
Skills and characteristics
- A super problem solver with a keen eye for tiny details
- Good grasp of Maths and IT and how it relates to construction
- Flexibility to work out of hours, including night shifts and weekend work, where required
- Flexibility to travel - BAM will give you fantastic opportunities to work on fascinating construction projects across the UK
- A quick thinker and use of your own initiative
So how does the apprenticeship work?
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 40 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at BAM Nuttall Limited, who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning £17,000 while you gain your qualifications.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Tiro and BAM Nuttall Limited's goal is to transform you into a fully competent technician, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the team.
Not ready to apply yet?