Located near the heart of Cambridge city, an enthusiastic and motivated apprentice is required to join the team to assist teaching staff, under the direction of the Senior Technician, in providing a safe and efficient lab technical service for students and teaching staff.
As a science technician apprentice for Cambridgeshire Educational Trust Chesterton Community College, you will be under the supervision of the Senior technician, assisting the team with some or all the following core activities:
• Preparation and assembly of apparatus and components for demonstration, class practical work, assessments, and examinations
• To ensure equipment and electrical connections, chemical solutions and other materials are left/stored in a safe and secure condition
• Undertake minor repairs and modifications when necessary and to assist in the construction of apparatus
• Assist in maintaining records of apparatus, reagents, and materials, including inventories and records of breakages.
• Monitor and manage stock cataloguing resources and undertaking audits as required
• Purchase of consumables from local shops as required.
• The cleaning and maintenance of equipment and the neutralisation and cleaning up of spillages, including the cleaning of glassware and other equipment.
• To undertake general tasks within the Science Department including transporting supplies within the school, collection of materials locally, general maintenance of laboratories, preparation, and storerooms.
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3 Laboratory Technician) provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers.
Skills and characteristics
• Ability to relate well to children and adults
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Commitment to the safeguarding of children and young people
• To be organized and efficient
• Ability to inspire students
• Reliable and punctual
• Have a polite, friendly and flexible approach to work
• To have a good sense of humour
• To follow instructions
• To always keep calm and professional
So how does the apprenticeship work?
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 32.5 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at Chesterton Community College who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning while you learn.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Not ready to apply yet?