industry), Geotechnics have a considerable resource of technical knowledge to tap into. They offer high-quality testing services to clients whilst providing a great level of service and high standard of workmanship.
With that in mind they’re looking for meticulous people like you to guarantee the quality of materials being used on sites at their materials testing laboratory, based in Coventry, West Midlands.
In this role, you’ll be a key player in in ensuring the quality of soils, aggregates, concrete, and bituminous materials meet the clients’ contractual obligations.
Reporting to the Laboratory Testing Manager and Laboratory Systems Manager, you’ll be working in a laboratory but not as you know it. Be prepared to get mucky as you get to know your materials. This won’t be a sterile environment and requires someone who’s not afraid to get stuck in. A typical day consists of undertaking materials testing, compliant with UKAS requirements and the British Standard, whilst supporting the laboratory technicians in completing test sheets and ensure all data is captured accurately.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
• Completing and passing each module linked to NVQ Qualification in line with NVQ course requirements
• Supplementing NVQ learning with developing skills to become competent Laboratory Apprentice
• Building Health & Safety (H&S) knowledge to ensure all processes undertaken adhere to H&S regulations whilst working in the Laboratory
• Support the Laboratory technicians in completing test sheets and ensure all data is captured accurately.
• Utilise the training feedback procedures to record any ideas you may have to improve the training methods and the management system
• Strong knowledge of soil sample booking in and storing processes
• Building skills to support with core Laboratory tests under the direction of a Senior Technician or Laboratory Technician
• Ensure any testing equipment or tools are cleaned after each test
• Responsible for ensuring your workstation is kept clean and tidy
• Performing other duties and responsibilities as required from time to time by your line manager.
Working as part of a close-knit team, you won’t be alone. You’ll be supported and guided, learning on the job, by an experienced materials technicians to gain official qualifications that’ll boost your career.
Skills and characteristics
• Strong attention to detail
• Methodical and logical in approach to work
• Willingness to learn and develop skills and knowledge gained both as part of the NVQ programme and work-based skills
• Punctual with good attitude and work ethic
• Can do attitude
• Team player, ability to work well with others
So how does the apprenticeship work?
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 37.5 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at Geotechnics who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning just over £15,000 year while you learn.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Tiro and Geotechnics Ltd’s goal is to transform you into a fully competent technician, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the team after completing your qualification.
Not ready to apply yet?