This opportunity is working with the Science department which is comprised of twelve specialist teaching laboratories in a beautiful 1930s building. The laboratories are all equipped with modern facilities such as whiteboards and are extremely well resourced. Each department has four laboratories and a dedicated preparation room.
An enthusiastic and motivated apprentice is required to join a team of technicians working to support the delivery of a varied and exciting science curriculum within the school.
As a science & laboratory technician apprentice for St Paul’s Girls School you will be under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager, assisting the technician team with some or all the following core activities:
• Preparing solutions and materials.
• Preparing microbiological resources and cultures for living organisms.
• Caring for plants and animals.
• Assembling, constructing, and modifying apparatus
• Delivering equipment, materials, and organisms to rooms.
• Collecting, checking, and returning resources to stores
• Ensuring that stock levels are maintained, and future requirements are identified
• Ensuring the availability of suitable resources
• General cleaning of laboratory bench surfaces sinks and fixed equipment.
• Disposing of waste materials.
• Carrying out and following risk assessments for technician activities.
• Carrying out health and safety checks on laboratories, prep rooms, and stores, including the equipment held within, as indicated by the science department safety checklists.
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3 Laboratory Technician) provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers.
• A-level in science is desirable
Skills and characteristics
• A professional and mature approach to working in a school environment in relation to current safeguarding guidelines
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Highly organised and self-motivated with an ability to work independently.
• Good written and verbal communication skills
So how does the apprenticeship work?
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 36.25 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at St Paul’s Girls School who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning while you learn.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Not ready to apply yet?