An exciting opportunity has become available for an enthusiastic individual to work in their laboratory as a Lab Technician Apprentice. In this apprenticeship role Precision for Medicine will support you to achieve your level 3 qualification as a Laboratory Technician.
As a member of the biological laboratory testing team, you’ll be responsible for receiving, inventory and processing fresh patient samples and nonclinical samples to cryopreserved cells. Additionally, this role will include laboratory housekeeping and organisation, preparation of associated laboratory reagents, managing cell inventory and helping other scientists with tasks as required.
Other duties may include:
• Receive inventory and process fresh biological samples:
• Receive and inventory all incoming fresh biological samples into electronic LIMS database
• Perform cell isolations and/or separate whole blood and body fluids into various components
• Perform cryopreservation of all isolated cells
• Prepare all reagents used in lab
• Create and perform first key of data collection sheets
• Perform equipment preventive maintenance
• Perform cell thawing and counting
• Effectively manage UK cell-based inventory
• Maintain accurate, up to date records (lab and timesheet)
• A-Level in Biology or Science related discipline (desirable)
Skills and characteristics
• Basic, hands-on laboratory skills are desirable
• Good manual dexterity
• Proven ability to follow detailed protocols/instructions
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to critically review own work to identify and correct error
So how does the apprenticeship work?
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 37.5 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at Precision for Medicine who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning while you learn.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Tiro and Precision for Medicine’s goal is to transform you into a fully competent technician, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the team.
Not ready to apply yet?