Asbestos was commonly used throughout the 21st century as a building material. It was banned from use in the UK in 1999 after it was discovered to cause serious health conditions. Despite this, around 5,000 people are thought to die each year from diseases related to asbestos exposure.
In this role, you’ll be a key player in ensuring the safety of those working and living in environments that could be at risk and Thames Laboratories is looking for someone like you to join their growing team in Cambridgeshire.
Based at their Head office in Cambridgeshire, no two days are the same as a Trainee Laboratory Technician. You’ll spend time testing samples in Thames Laboratories in-house lab and working as part of a close-knit and friendly team. You’ll be supported and guided, learning on the job, by a team of experienced analysts to gain official qualifications that’ll boost your career.
As a Trainee Laboratory Technician for Thames Laboratories your key responsibilities will include:
• Follow set procedures to accurately identify if asbestos is present within samples
• Accurately input sample information and analysis into our internal system
• Maintain a high level of cleanliness and tidiness within the lab
• Be involved in regular inspections to maintain our UKAS accreditation's
• Check the reports are technically accurate before being sent
• Liaise with site staff to assist in resolving any queries that may be identified when report checking
• Manage own timescales effectively and prioritise
• Calibrate and maintain equipment as required
• Assisting with administration tasks when required
This role, once authorised and skilled to work independently, requires high levels of repetition whilst maintaining outstanding levels of attention to detail.
Skills and characteristics
• Excellent attention to detail
• Able to work independently as well as part of a team
• Computer literate (Microsoft Office)
So how does the apprenticeship work?
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 40 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at Thames Laboratories, who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning a salary while you gain your qualifications.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Tiro and Thames Laboratories’ goal is to transform you into a fully competent technician, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the team.
Not ready to apply yet?