Broadway Academy, Birmingham – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
Apply by: 9th July 2021
When? Monday to Friday, 36.5 hours per week (term time only plus 2 weeks)
Where? Birmingham, West Midlands
For how long? 24 months
How much? You’ll earn £6,434.95 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician.
You’ll join Broadway Academy as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 24 months.
Broadway is a successful Academy in North Birmingham with an inclusive ‘can do’ attitude. We aim to support all young people in achieving their ambitions. This is captured in our motto: “Our Children, Our Community, Believe it can be done!”
The Science Department teaches chemistry, physics and biology and has some of the best results in all key stages in the Academy. We are working hard as a department to raise the standards of teaching, learning and examination performance in Science.
You’ll have the support of a mentor, a colleague whose job it is to keep an eye on your training and development in the role.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
- The apprentice science technician will be guided and supervised by the Senior Science technician.
- You will learn how to prepare equipment and materials for science lessons and to tidy and clean equipment after lessons.
- You will be expected to carry out checks and maintenance of equipment.
- You will be trained in how to prepare materials requested by staff to support their teaching.
- The job also involves storing and transporting science equipment and materials safely and checking and reporting on stock levels and helping with ordering new stocks and supplies.
- You will be expected to help at parents’ evenings and open evenings
- You will update information systems for the science department and provide general assistance with the resources and support that teachers need.
- Working in line with health and safety guidance is essential to this work.
- Updating information systems as required
Who we’re looking for:
- Good technical and practical skills
- Good organisational and planning skills
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
- Good attention to detail and accuracy
- IT literate with high degree of data input accuracy
- Ability to work within strict Health and Safety guidelines
- Good and confident communication with a range of people including students and teachers
- Ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence using the English Language (as required by Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016)
- Good attendance and punctuality
- Conscientious and polite
- Willingness to be flexible to meet emergency / changing situations
- Able to show behaviours in line with the school values of optimism, respect, responsibility, integrity, generosity, appreciation, aspiration and inclusivity.
- Good overall GCSE grades (or functional skills tests via the training provider if required) for English and Maths
- Good GCSE grades in one or more sciences
We would hope to be able to offer a permanent job to a successful apprentice but cannot guarantee this as it will depend on the school’s plans and budgets.
However, we can provide an excellent opportunity to become qualified and experienced in a field where there are not enough qualified people! So, this apprenticeship could lead to employment in another school or college.
We are passionate about staff development, so you will have the opportunity to take advantage of other training and development in the school.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with Broadway Academy. If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship.