The Pirbright Institute, Surrey – Business Administrator (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
Apply by: 9th July 2021
When? Monday to Friday, 37 hours per week
For how long? 24 months
How much? You’ll earn £15,425 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Business Administrator.
You’ll join The Pirbright Institute as an apprentice Business Administrator for a fixed period of 24 months.
The Pirbright Institute delivers world-leading research to understand, predict, detect and respond to viral disease outbreaks. We study viruses of livestock that are endemic and exotic to the UK, including zoonotic viruses, by using the most advanced tools and technologies to understand host-pathogen interactions in animals and arthropod vectors. Our major strength in understanding the immune systems of livestock provides a platform to control current diseases and respond to emerging threats.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Business Administration Apprentice to join the Institute and work within the Chief Executive’s office and across the wider administrative team.
You’ll have the support of a mentor, a colleague whose job it is to keep an eye on your training and development in the role.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Business Administrator. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
Main duties and responsibility
- Provide an efficient customer service, dealing with correspondence via phone/email and greeting visitors where required
- Build effective relationships with colleagues, internal and external stakeholders
- Assist with diary management e.g., arranging meetings as required
- Participate in Institute meetings and take meeting minutes if necessary
- Assist with travel and accommodation requests
- Provide assistance with financial activities in such to create purchase orders, receipt invoices and maintain spreadsheets
- Support meetings and events, including room bookings, catering, equipment and necessary administration prior to, during and after the event
- Implement and maintain standard operating procedures for role
- Assist in maintaining office filing/archiving system in both hard and electronic format
- Monitor and order office stationery and other supplies
- Act as an effective team member aiding other colleagues as requested
- To remain aware of Institute policies and procedures and act according to them
Who we’re looking for:
- Secretarial skills
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Computer literate
- Demonstrable customer service skills
- Experience of managing competing deadlines
- Experience of organising events
- Ability to perform basic financial administration tasks
- Knowledge of minute taking skills
- Team player
- Excellent communication skills
- Punctual and reliable
- A profssional, can-do attitude
- Displays common sense and flexibiltiy
- Willingness to learn
- 5 GCSEs Grade 5 and above which must include Maths and English
- BTEC Level 2 in Business Admin or GCSE Diploma in Business for entry to Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Following a successful apprenticeship, there is potential for a rewarding career path in a growing company.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with The Pirbright Institute. If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship.