What is a CSCS card?
A CSCS card provides proof that you have the required training and qualifications to work on a construction site.
Having a CSCS card is not a legal requirement, however, most construction sites require their workers to hold one.
Holding a CSCS card shows site managers that an apprentice has been trained in basic Construction Health and Safety awareness and is on a recognised apprenticeship standard. This can help get an apprentice on a new work site quicker.
How do I obtain a CSCS Card?
When you or an employee enrols onto the Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship or the Laboratory and Associated Activities NVQ with Youthforce, the trainee(s) will receive the required training to acquire the CSCS card. Youthforce will provide training that covers the industry recognised criteria for the Health and Safety unit within the programme to enable the trainee(s) to achieve their related sector card. The certificate for the Health and Safety unit along with proof of enrolment onto the approved routes above will enable you to apply for a CSCS card.
How much does a CSCS card cost?
The cost of a CSCS card is a payment of £36. Each card is valid for a certain amount of years before it must be renewed. (Please see below for further guidance)
Applying for an Apprentice Card
You will need
- Proof of enrolment of the Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship
- Proof you have passed the Health and Safety unit – you will receive a certificate from Youthforce (The Health and Safety unit is completed during the induction stage of the apprenticeship)
This card is valid for four years and six months, it cannot be renewed.
Applying for a Trainee Card
You will need:
1. To be enrolled on the Laboratory and Associated Technical activities NVQ – Youthforce will provide evidence of your enrolment to apply for the trainee card
This card is valid for five years and cannot be renewed.
Applying for an Advanced Craft Card
You will need
1. Proof that you have passed the Level 3 Certificate in Laboratory Technical Skills
2. Proof that you have passed your End Point Assessment (you will complete this at the end of your apprenticeship)
This card is valid for five years.
“CSCS is a big supporter of apprenticeships and we have a specific Apprentice CSCS card. This card lasts for 4 years and 6 months, enough time for the apprenticeship to be completed. This is one of the first trailblazer apprenticeship that CSCS recognises, and CSCS are working with the various standard setting bodies to recognise the others being developed. When applying for the apprentice card the apprentice will need to show that they are on a recognised apprenticeship, pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test (unless you are exempt), pay the fee and you can get the card.”