Harris City Academy Crystal Palace, London – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Hours: Monday – Friday, 37.5 hours per week
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £20,257.71 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Materials Technician.
You’ll join Harris City Academy as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace is seeking a science technician to join our innovative team.We are recognised as the top performing large multi-academy trust in England for primary and secondary education. Closing the gap between young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers has always been a core mission of Harris. Holding a reputation for bringing transformative approaches to education, we hold a unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement. Our people are at the heart of this success. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of training programmes available at every stage of your career. We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
Science is an exceptionally successful and high performing department at all key stages. This could be a fantastic opportunity for a science graduate interested in gaining school experience or laboratory skills. Your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting teachers in the preparation of lesson materials and daily check of room consumables
- Maintaining high levels of cleanliness and tidiness of stock cupboards in Science
- Ordering of stock and maintaining stocktake
- Organisation, storage and record keeping of equipment and chemicals
- Implementation of health and safety regulations and regular safety checks of all science based equipment
- Preparation of bulk solution of stock.
- Care and maintenance of labs, equipment, animals and plants.
- Organising the construction, preparation, repair, cleaning, transport and collection of equipment.
As part of Harris, you will join a community of staff dedicated to transforming education in London. With regular progression opportunities and outstanding CPD for support staff, there will be a wealth of opportunities for you to grow your career, whether at Harris City Academy Crystal Palace, in one of our other 49 academies, or in our central team.
Who we’re looking for:
- A good understanding of current educational issues, theory and practice.
- Experience of working in an inner city school or educational establishment.
- Good written and spoken communication skills, good organisational skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
- We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning.
- 3 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
- A level or BTEC in science would be advantageous
Things to consider:
- Please note, candidates living within a 1 hour commute radius of the vacancy location will be prioritised.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with Harris City Academy . If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.