Labskin UK Ltd, York – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
What? Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship
Where? Labskin Uk Ltd, York Biotech campus, North Yorkshire, Y041 1LZ
When? Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours pw (flexible working hours available)
How much? £12,675 pa for the first year (£6.50 per hour).
After which will increase to:
18-20 – £6.56
21-22 – £8.36
23+ – £8.91
How long? Fixed period of 21 months with the potential to continue employment and training with Labskin. As well as opportunities to work in our sister labs in Ireland or the US. Completion of the initial apprenticeship would lead to an increase in grade and salary.
Other company benefits? 33 days paid annual leave (25 days plus 8 Bank Holiday days), Time out of the office for learning and development activities, Company pension scheme, Bravo benefits including life insurance
Working for Labskin UK Ltd
At Labskin we deliver human skin microbiology services to support your product R&D activities in the cosmetic, personal care, medical device, and pharmaceutical sectors. With our sector experience and use of technology, you will be accessing industry-focused services supported by world-leading skin science expertise.
Our skin model is a 3D human skin equivalent that incorporates vital biological components to model normal skin function. Developed over 12 years with more than 30 scientific journal publications, it is made from young keratinocytes (human skin cells) and adult fibroblasts (metabolically active, collagen-producing human skin cells).
As a Microbiology Lab Technician, you will play an integral role in supporting all aspects of laboratory and study support functions for our Services (Microbiology and Histology), Production and R&D departments. It’s an exciting Opportunity to be part of the Labskin 2021 Apprenticeship Program in York.
What it’s like being an Apprentice Laboratory Technician within Labskin
Based at their York Biotec Campus, in North Yorkshire you will acquire a comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of our business including general laboratory and manufacturing practices, good laboratory practice, study design, data interpretation, research and development and results write-up as well as more specialised techniques and tasks.
Capitalize on a dedicated training and development program that will support your scientific and professional career aspirations and take pride in providing scientific work that helps deliver cruelty-free laboratory services to the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries.
Our skin molecular biology services include:
- RNA and DNA extraction
- Investigation of skin microbiome composition
- Gene expression using PCR and 16S sequencing
- Quantitative microbiology of the skin
- Skin microbiology consultancy
You will learn the following:
- Work safely in the laboratory, maintaining excellent housekeeping whilst following appropriate safety, environment, and risk management systems
- Routine and one-off laboratory procedures and how to perform a variety of laboratory techniques
- Work both individually and as part of the laboratory team
- Work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work that is undertaken
- Ensure the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced and be able to maintain good accurate written records of work carried out
- Follow quality procedures to meet the requirements of quality standards relevant to the workplace
- Develop and apply your theoretical knowledge of relevant science and technology
- Tissue recognition, cutting, staining and microscopy; and its associated data management
- Preparation and recording a wide variety of formulations for clients’ studies
So how does the apprenticeship work?
At Tiro we’re obsessed with changing lives through science and technology apprenticeships so we can’t wait to have you on board.
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 37.5 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at Labskin UK Ltd, who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning a salary while you gain your qualifications.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Tiro and Labskin UK Ltd.’s goal is to transform you into a fully competent technician, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the team.
Who we’re looking for:
- This is a laboratory-based role so there will be some manual handling, repetitive tasks and handling of laboratory chemicals.
- The role requires excellent hand to eye co-ordination and standing at a bench for prolonged periods of time.
- The ability to show an interest in construction, science, or laboratory testing
- Ideally an A-level in Biology or Chemistry or equivalent (however all grades will be considered, so don’t be put off)
- A good level of general knowledge and understanding of scientific matters
- A passion for science,
- A willingness to learn,
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team,
- Great attention to detail,
- Good communication skills
- Good time management skills
- To be punctual and reliable
- Friendly and approachable
- Willing to take instructions from different members of the team
- A can-do attitude
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship there is a potential to continue employment and training with Labskin. As well as opportunities to work in their sister labs in Ireland and the US. Completion of the initial apprenticeship would lead to an increase in grade and salary.