OHS Ltd, Manchester – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
What? Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship
Where? OHS Head Office, 1st Floor, 2 City Approach, Albert Street, Eccles, Manchester, M30 0BL
When? Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week.
How much? £14,800 pa for the first year.
How long? Fixed period of 21 months with the opportunity to stay on permanently. Potential to take on team leader duties in time. Pay increase on completing to industry standard with potential to move into other departs with in the business.
Other benefits? 23 days holiday, pension on completion
Working for OHS Ltd
OHS Limited is a market leading independent health and safety consultancy, delivering legal compliance to organisations throughout the UK from SMEs to blue chip companies since 2017.
Their highly qualified, specialist team has over 50 years combined industry experience and is ready to provide best in class property compliance consultancy, through best practice and innovative solutions to meet the requirements of all our clients.
They’re looking for meticulous people like you to assist with the day-to-day testing of asbestos in bulk materials, at their laboratory based at their head office in Eccles, Manchester.
Asbestos is a substance that was widely used from the 1950’s right through to the 1980’s as a building material. It was used to such an extent that it can now be found in pretty much any building built before the year 2000. The inhalation of these fibres can cause life threatening diseases such as Mesothelioma and Lung Cancer. It is currently the biggest occupational killer in the UK and accounts for around 4,000 deaths a year nationwide.
As a trainee asbestos laboratory analyst, you will be responsible for the efficient analysis of customer-based enquiry samples to determine whether they contain asbestos.
What it’s like being a Laboratory testing tech
As a laboratory testing technician apprentice for OHS Ltd your goal will be to learn how to analyse samples to ensure compliance and determine their suitability.
Working as part of a close-knit team, you won’t be alone. You’ll be supported and guided, learning on the job, by a team of experienced technicians to gain official qualifications that’ll boost your career.
A typical day consists of working closely with the laboratory team, in a team of up to five staff, to deliver sample analysis results. Whatever you’re testing, know that with OHS Ltd you’ll always be using the industry’s leading equipment in a controlled, safe environment, surrounded by experts.
No two days are ever the same as a materials testing technician. You’ll spend time between testing in the lab and keeping accurate records, as well as other day to day activities which may include:
- Booking in samples and assigning KPI.
- Analysis QA and QC for our quality standards.
- Reporting QA
- Customer liaison /queries.
- Laboratory day to day management
- Daily Pre-Start Checks and control’s
- Data Management with client database and upload of raw data to operating system.
- Participating in both Internal and External QC requirement’s
- Participate in internal and external audits.
So how does the apprenticeship work?
At Tiro we’re obsessed with changing lives through science and technology apprenticeships so we can’t wait to have you on board.
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 40 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at OHS Ltd who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning £14,800 a year while you learn.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Tiro and OHS Ltd’s goal is to transform you into a fully competent technician, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the team.
- The ability to show an interest in construction, science, or laboratory testing.
- 18+ age limit in lab due to health and safety.
- Ideally English, Maths and Science GCSE A-C grade or equivalent (however lower grades will be considered, so don’t be put off)
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office)
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work alone when required
- Good communication skills
- Ability to adopt to change
- Flexibility to work demands
- Confident in own ability
- Time management
- Time keeping
- Takes responsibility
- Good listening skills
- Good sense of humour
Things to consider
- The lab is based in Eccles, there is a tram within 5 minutes’ walk and space to store cycle if required. The lab is located on the 1st floor of a shared building with shared welfare.
- Please note, the samples being analysed are very small, so this role requires some measure of dexterity.
- Asbestos analyst must not be colour blind to properly analyse samples.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with OHS Ltd . If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.