Socotec, Warrington – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £12,000 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Materials Technician.
You’ll join Socotec as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
Embrace and promote the SOCOTEC Vision and Values:
“Your leading partner for technical expertise and service”
Client Focused Delivery
- Put the Client at the centre of all decisions that are made
- Support colleagues in achieving for the client
- Treat internal clients with the same respect as external clients
- Respect the knowledge of colleagues and clients
- Listen to the views and opinions of others
- Always be polite and courteous
- Contribute in a positive way
- Look for ways to improve processes, systems, procedures, services and delivery in all roles
- Improve skills, knowledge and experience wherever possible to the mutual benefit of the client, SOCOTEC and the individual
- Question things which are not understood to improve individual performance and that of SOCOTEC
- Take responsibility for delivering clients’ requirements
- Deliver tasks to the best of one’s ability at all times
- Take pride in delivering excellent service
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
To train as a Materials Testing Technician apprentice, aiming to achieve a Level 3 NVQ in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities (LATA). You will be working with the site laboratory team where you will test the behaviour of bulk construction materials including concrete, aggregates and bituminous materials.
We are looking for you to develop in to the role by undertaking an agreed structured training program of study in house so that in time you will develop an understanding and knowledge of several different types of tests on concrete, soils and aggregates in the laboratory.
Specific duties will include (but aren’t limited to):
- Carry out testing in the laboratory to assess material characteristics (Soils, Aggregates, bituminous materials & concrete.
- Maintain high standards of work and compliance with in house procedures and British & European Standards.
- Comply with quality system for materials testing laboratory, developing an understanding of materials reporting
- Analyse test results and produce reports that inform project engineers and managers against agreed deadlines
- Proactively communicate within the team to ensure effective performance
- Comply with laboratory and site safety procedures
- Responsible for maintaining training records
Who we’re looking for:
- Good IT skills – knowledge of MS Office
- Excellent communication skills
- Good use of initiative
- Interest in construction, science and laboratory testing
- Flexibility to work out of hours including night shifts and weekend work where required
- Flexibility to travel
- Accurate and meticulous person
- 3 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
- Completed an intermediate (level2) apprenticeship in An Engineering OR Construction Discipline (or equivalent)
Things to consider:
There is a physical nature to some of the work carried out such as some heavy lifting of sample bags is required from time to time so the candidate should be fit and able to lift up to 20Kg’s at a time.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with Socotec. If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.